Saturday, April 10, 2010

Last Blog on Leadership

I can't believe that this is the end. This semester was great. I've learned so much and and am really glad that I took this class. Thanks for being an amazing TA Audrey! Our first blogs were just our thoughts on leadership and now I will define what leadership is to me. I wonder how different it will be from the beginning of semester.
Leadership: To me leadership is everyone's responsibility. There is always some was that you can lead. You don't need a title or position to be a leader. You should always be leading by example and leading yourself into a better you. Leadership is the act of taking the reins, taking control, and taking matters into your own hands, rather than sitting back and letting others do all the work for you. Leadership is being an example for other to follow and want to follow. Leadership is having a purpose in life and working for that goal. Leadership is not being bossy, demeaning, and having a big head, but rather being full of love and compassion. Leadership is not one man on the mountain looking down on all below, but helping everyone make it to the summit and stand on the peak. Leadership is not always easy. It can be difficult at times to make the changes necessary. There in no one way to lead. every situation is different and as such, requires different leadership. Leadership is taking charge and making changes to yourself and your life to better serve others, not trying to force others to change to benefit your life. Leadership is using what you've got in the best possible way. Most of all, leadership is action, making the difference in the things you do. Leadership is not typing up this blog post, but living by the principles in it and all the ones we've learned about all semester.
I think the thing that impacted me most this semester was that in order to be a good leader I would have to make most of the changes to myself, not to a program or the people, but myself. I cannot really lead others if I do not have a good hold on who I am and making sure that that is who I want to be. It's ok if I'm not perfect as long as I keep moving forward and strive for perfection. Only then can I be a good leader. As soon as I stop and say I am a good leader as I am at this point, I start to diminish the good I can do.
I have really enjoyed this semester with you guys. I'll miss it and all the cool movie clips. :D In all seriousness, thanks for all the insight that you have given me and good luck to you all in your leadership endeavors.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Malorie! Your insights, leadership, and hard work have been much appreciated this semester! Good luck with the rest of your education - "kid, you'll move mountains"!
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete